Centennial Secondary School
Client: School District No. 43
Location: Coquitlam, BC
This 12,200 sq. m. secondary school, with room for 1,250 students, replaced the old school building while retaining one of the existing gyms.
The new school has a major focus on 21st century learning. Groups of classrooms form learning communities with moveable walls that allow for flexible learning spaces and student / teacher collaboration.
The library is a key feature for the new school, and is situated next to an amphitheatre that can be used for band and choir concerts and outdoor learning. The school includes a teaching kitchen, shops for metal, automotive and carpentry, and a 220-seat theatre with a larger backstage than the old space.Unique features of the project include:
- spaces designed for individualized support, collaborative groups, small learning communities, personal learning and reflection, and social learning
- a variety of learning and teaching styles are supported
- natural lighting, temperature control, ventilation and acoustics are optimized
- there are provisions for outdoor learning and physical activities
- the building’s design invites community participation (theatre, music, art, community gym)
- there are spaces to support community enhancements to the educational programs
- the design establishes an appropriate civic presence for the school in its neighbourhood
- materials, massing, siting, and elevations contribute to an inspiring and coherent design (externally and internally)
- the building incorporates and visibly demonstrates sustainable design concepts