Dawson Creek and District Hospital Medical Device Reprocessing Department Renovation
Thinkspace was retained in 2017 to provide professional services for the renovation of the Medical Device Reprocessing Department (MDRD) at Dawson Creek and District Hospital. The MDRD required complete renovations to meet CSA Standards and improve process flow. Through Infection Control and Prevention Canada (IPAC) risk assessment, it was determined that the MDRD did not meet the requirements for infection control and safety and had escalated the urgency for corrective measures to mitigate the impending risk to both staff and patients.
The intent of the multi-phased project was to provide a CSA Z314.0-13 compliant MDRD to accommodate the needs of the type and volume of surgeries within the facility and the sterilization processes required for the relocated and new equipment. In order to maintain the ongoing use of the department, phasing, construction access, and detailed hoarding plans were determined to suite construction and patient activities.
The new MDRD includes:
- Design of the new space, maintaining the dumb waiter and the storm water sump
- Efficiently organized space for the new sterilization equipment and carts
- Clean storage for sterile medical devices and supplies
- Sterile storage to accommodate equipment and sterile supplies
- Anteroom to minimize impact to air pressure required for Clean Side
- Mechanical design to facilitate existing space
- Electrical design to accommodate new equipment locations.